FAQ: What forms of identification will truck driver training accept?


With over 10 years at C1, Sheffield is an incredible resource for new truck drivers. Read more from

I can’t seem to find my social security card. I am supposed to start school at C1 next Monday. I was wondering if I could use my birth certificate or some other form of ID. I can put in for a new social security card, but it wouldn’t be here in time. Thanks.


Hi Nathan,

If not in possession of your original social security card, the following documents will be accepted by the Texas Department of Public Safety:

  • Military ID
  • Health insurance card with your social security number present
  • V.A. card
  • Police license
  • Government driver’s license
  • DD214
  • Pilot license
  • Medicaid card
  • College transcript with your social security number present

Please let me know if I can help any further.


Norman Sheffield
C1 Truck Driver Training
Ft. Worth, Texas

*Disclaimer: This is based upon Texas licensing regulations and may not apply to every state or truck driving school.

Got a question for a C1 director? Submit it here and the C1 staff will get it answered for you!